Thursday, August 2, 2012

Gnome Extensions Installation Silent Error

I was one of those unlucky ones not able to install Gnome Extensions via the website, on my Fedora 17.

 I've found out I wasn't the only one but we were not a big number and there was not a clear solution to our problem.

 Apparently I have found that is somewhat related to SSL and the time set in you laptop. Yes. I do not why, but it was definitely my case.  

This is the error I was receiving:

JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: TypeError: info is null
JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '83'JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/extensionSystem.js"'
JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"([object _private_Soup_SessionAsync],[object _private_Soup_Message])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/extensionSystem.js:83"'
JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"info is null"'

If you are also unable to join your Google account to your Gnome 3 profile, ( Check with the Google one since the other options were working fine ) you will probably have my same problem.

For some reason that I cannot explain it seems that the clock or the timezone set on you Linux are involved in the problem.

 Try to change them switching form either network updated to something else like New York timezone and repeat the process.
It's enough to check if you can join the Google account.

As soon as you see you are able, also the extension installation is fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment